Saturday 29 September 2012

When you can't fish...






So when you can't get out to fish, what else can you do?

and so started my attempts at fly tying.....

I bought a starter pack of material for about 15 quid, and picked up some extra bits and bobs off ebay. The prime reason for me wanting to tie flys is that getting decent flies on barbless hooks without costing more than I'm willing to cast is difficult! The hooks used are hanak and knapek barbless.

So i started, following a few patterns of the internet and making a few up as I went along.

Treacle parkin? (sort of)

Beadhead pheasant tail nymph

Klinkhammer

Not sure, but is a dry fly!

Beetle with fluo pink sight post
 So, a few of my attempts so far. I'm hoping when work and family life settle down a bit I'll get out and try to see if I can tempt some grayling with some of my creations...

2 comments:

  1. Good first efforts. Can I suggest you use the hook as you would a measure. It's all about proportions. Make a tail about have the length of a hook for example. And a hackle the size of the gape.

    Look in Youtube Davey Mcphail does some wonderful tying, and you can download and re-play the clips.

    I expect you fish the Don?

    I'm@ www.smallstreambrowntroutfishing.blogpsot.com Follow if you get time?

    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forwarder to your new creations, will learn more fishing gear

    ReplyDelete